This delicious Mexican Sweet Potato & Black Bean Salad is perfect for any summer bar-b-que, picnic, lunch, or dinner. I got the original recipe from a client (thanks Kathy!). And then I modified it because I can never follow any recipe exactly, LOL! (Usually, I need to swap out some ingredients that may contain gluten, dairy, or nightshades, or sometimes I don’t have a particular ingredient, so I punt.)
And since we live in Mexico, I had to add a bit of Mexican flare. So check out my modified version of the original recipe that my client found online.
The juxtaposition of flavors and textures, from the soft sweet potato and black beans to the crunchy jicama and celery, to the zesty lime juice and chipotle powder, has made this Mexican Sweet Potato & Black Bean Salad one of our new fav new meals! So I had to share, hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Jicama is also a loaded with inulin, a natural pre-biotic fiber that feeds your good gut bacteria. And it’s high in vitamin C, folate, magnesium and antioxidants too. It’s a great addition to any salad or stir-fry. When cooked, it has the texture of water chestnuts.
Mexican Sweet Potato & Black Bean Salad
- 4 large sweet potatoes peeled cut into 1/2” cubes
- 2 15 oz cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup jicama cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2/3 cups toasted pecan pieces
- 4 cups shredded lettuce Romain or iceberg
- 4 TBSP organic olive oil
- 4 TBSP lime juice
- 1 tsp smoked sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Steam the sweet potato cubes until just done (about 10 to 20 minutes), rinse in cold water.
- In a large salad bowl add all of the dressing ingredients, and whisk together.
- Add in all other salad ingredients except lettuce, and toss well.
- Divide the shredded lettuce onto 4 plates.
- Top lettuce with salad.
Be sure to check out other gluten-free, dairy-free recipes here.
And if you’re wondering about the background behind the plate, it’s these lovely jacquard napkins from Anthropologie that my cousin gifted us. They make any table so pretty!
Please leave a comment to let us know how you liked this recipe, and what modificatioins you made to yours?