Are you eating your daily amount of veggies? Or do you need some recipe inspiration to get more veggies into your day? These creative and savory breakfast ideas are here to inspire you!
However, in order to get more veggies into your day, you need to start from somewhere, right? So let’s start with your plate. Typically you want your plate to be at least 50% vegetables at each meal. And the more greens you eat the better for your overall health.
If that seems overwhelming, let’s break it down so you can wrap your head around how to get more veggies into your day. The US RDA (recommended daily allowance) is a minimum of nine ½-cup servings of produce a day. That’s further broken down to equal 1.5-2 cups of fruit (organic and skin-on are best options), plus 2.5 cups of veggies a day.
So while you might do ok with veggies at lunch or dinner, what about breakfast? What comes to mind when you think of breakfast? Many people think of pancakes or waffles laden with syrup, cinnamon rolls, Froot Loops, Lucky Charms, or chocolate croissants. And while those types of breakfast may briefly taste delicious on your tongue, they also rapidly spike your blood sugar, which then crashes you into a mid-morning slump, tired, cranky, and hungry all over again. No bueno!
Get More Veggies Into Your Day
Getting more healthy fats and protein as well as veggies into your morning meal will go a long way towards ending the mid-morning slump. And the delicious and savory breakfast ideas below will help you get more veggies into your day. Don’t love veggies so much? Or trying to get your kids to eat their daily veggies? Check out these ideas that just might change your mind about eating 2.5 cups of veggies a day.
I admit I didn’t think these ideas up myself. I’ve picked them up from different Instagram posts and podcasts, from Dr. Mark Hyman, and other wellness geeks I follow. Then I’ve changed them up a bit to add different ingredients. And we’ve quickly embraced these flavorful breakfast ideas in our boat/home.
Delicious, Nutritious Breakfast Ideas
This savory breakfast porridge is packed with veggies, protein, healthy fats, nuts and seeds. And it’s a delicious way to fuel your body all morning. Experiment! Mix it up using whatever veggies, nuts or seeds you have on hand. Then spice it as you like to make your own signature breakfast dish. And before you know it, you’ll get more veggies into your day!
Savory Breakfast Porridge
- 1/2 cup GF steel cut oats (or buckwheat groats, quinoa, amaranth seed)
- 1/4 cup organic pea protein
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (or other nuts of choice)
- 1 TBSP hemp seeds
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP ground flax seed
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 handfuls organic spinach leaves or other greens
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 cups water
- organic olive oil drizzle
- fresh basil shredded
- cracked black pepper
- spices of choice
- Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery (or other veggies) in coconut oil until the onions start to caramelize, add the spinach/greens.
- Add oats/groats, protein powder, nuts, and seeds.
- Add water and stir thoroughly until boiling. Turn down heat, continue stirring to insure oats don’t stick to bottom of pan. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until grain is done.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with fresh basil and cracked black pepper and other spices
Variations in Veggies and Flavors
- Serve with a fried egg on top for extra protein
- Zucchini Bread Porridge: try pears, zucchini, cardamom, and cinnamon
- Carrot Cake Porridge: try carrots, apples, cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin spice
- Peanutbutter Cup Porridge: try sweet potato, ½ cup crunchy peanut butter and 2 TBSP cacao nibs
- Berries & Beets: shredded beets, blueberries (or mixed berries) with cinnamon and cardamom
- Veggie juices are a great accompaniment to your summer breakfast too. My FAV veggie juice recipe.
- If you opt for the pancake or waffle breakfast, you can even add in some veggies to the batter. Try shredded beets, carrots, zucchini or sweet potato.
Hopefully, these breakfast ideas have given you some creative ways to get more veggies into your day. Please leave a message to let us know your favorite savory breakfast combinations!