We’ve been sprouting some seeds and legumes recently and just made these Sprouted Lentil Black Bean Burgers. OMG! They are SO delicious, I had to share the recipe here so you don’t miss out. Literally the BEST veggie burger we’ve ever had. Plus we pared them with super-delish sweet potato fries on the grill. We’ve actually made them three times in the past week, that’s how good they are!
If you’ve never sprouted seeds or legumes before, it’s pretty easy and only takes a couple of days. We’ve had the best luck sprouting lentils, ready in three days. And I just found this handy resource on Sprouting 101 with lots of info on how to sprout. We’re going to try a few things like quinoa and pumpkin seeds again, as apparently we didn’t do it quite right the first time… LOL! We also have these sprouting jars for larger seeds and legumes, and these sproutng lids that convert mason jars into sprouting jars for smaller seeds and grains.
So Why Sprout?
If you’re not a fan of sprouts, this might change your mind. According to Harvard News(1), sprouted grains, seeds, and legumes are more nutritious than their non-sprouted cousins. It turns out the germinating process breaks down some of the starches as well as the phytic acid that can hinder the absorption of vitamins and minerals in the body. So sprouting makes nutrients like folate, iron, vitamin C, zinc, magnesium, and protein much more bioavailable to the body. Since they also have less starch they can be easier to digest than non-sprouted grains, seeds, and legumes.
Ok, enough about sprouting for now, let’s get on with the Sprouted Lentil Black Bean Burger recipe! Cuz I know you’re dying to try these…
Sprouted Lentil Black Bean Burgers & Sweet Potato Fries
The nutritional yeast in the burgers gives them a cheesy-flavor almost like a cheeseburger. And we love to serve our Sprouted Lentil Black Bean Burgers with Mexi-spice sweet potato fries, so I’ve included that recipe below as well. We prefer our fries grilled on the BBQ.
Sprouted Lentil & Black Bean Burgers
- 1-1/2 cups sprouted lentils
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (or other toasted nuts)
- 1/2 - 1 cup refried black beans
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican seasoning (or taco seasoning)
- 1 tsp black pepper, coarse ground
- Mixed together all ingredients except refried black beans.
- Add in 1/2 cup black beans and mix well with fork or by hand. Add more refried beans as needed to get the right consistency to make burger patties.
- Makes 4 large burgers or 6 medium burgers. Grill on the barbecue until browned and crispy.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 TBSP organic olive oil
- 1 tsp Mexi-spice seasoning
- Scrub sweet potatoes and cut into "steak-fry" wedges, leaving skins on
- Toss cut sweet potatoes with the olive oil and Mexi-spice seasoning
- To cook: Pan fry, grill on the BBQ, or bake in 450° oven for 15-20 min (turing fries over half-way through baking)
Please leave a comment to let us know what you think of this meal? What did you add to it? Buen provacho!