Much to my dad’s chagrin, I haven’t really been a football fan since my high school days, when knowing all the players made it fun to watch. The head-banging injuries and over commercialization of professional football leave something to be desired.
However this year, with the Seattle Seahawks going to the Super Bowl, I’ve really caught the 12th Man Fever. It so much fun to see our whole city go crazy over this team. Office windows with giant #12s on them; department store mannequins dressed in Seahawks garb; cars flying #12 flags; and people sporting blue and green hair and body glitter everywhere, it’s infectious!
So this year, I’ll be making some healthy Super Bowl party snacks. At the top of my healthy snack list is guacamole. Here are a few other healthy Super Bowl party snack ideas.
Healthy Super Bowl Party Snacks
- Guacamole and organic (non-GMO) corn chips
- Hummus and flax seed crackers
- Crudités go well with guacamole and hummus too (think organic grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and fennel)
- Smoked salmon (be sure to read labels for sodium and sugar content, or wheat if you are Gluten-free)
- Organic popcorn with Braggs and/or nutritional yeast (we love Trader Joe’s Organic Olive Oil Popcorn)
Here’s my own time-tested guacamole recipe, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Happy Well Guacamole
- 5 ripe Hass avocados*
- 1 organic tomato, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or finely grated)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp cumin (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
In medium size bowl, combine minced garlic, lime juice, cumin and black pepper. Scoop out ripe avocados with a spoon and add to mix. Mash well with fork, until everything is mixed together. Fold in diced tomatoes. Taste, and add more cumin and/or black pepper if you like a spicier guacamole.
Serve with organic (non-GMO) corn chips, flax seed crackers, and crudités.
*If your avocados aren’t quite ripe enough, try putting them in a paper bag along with a banana for a day or two.
Enjoy, and GO SEAHAWKS!!