Looking for a quick and easy high-protein breakfast idea? Now that summer is almost here it’s the perfect time to drink this Choco-Berry Protein Smoothie.
Smoothies and other cold foods and beverages can be really cooling to the body, which can make you feel cold and sluggish. So you don’t want to drink a lot of smoothies or eat lots of cold foods during the winter—unless you live in a hot climate. But with the heat of summer on the horizon, it’s time to cool off. And this yummy Choco-Berry Protein Smoothie is just the ticket for a hearty, protein-rich breakfast.
In fact, it’s packed with tons of antioxidants, healthy fats, and protein, to keep you satiated and full of energy all morning long. Berries and cocoa are high in phytonutrient antioxidants. Nuts and nut butters are high in healthy fats and minerals. The nuts and nut butters as well as the protein powder, JuicePlus+ Complete, and gelatin or collagen are also packed with protein. If you’re vegan or vegetarian you can easily leave out the gelatin/collagen and still get lots of protein in this yummy smoothie.
How Much Protein Do You Need?
According to the Mayo Clinic, “For women over 50, experts recommend 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of weight (1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds). If you weigh 140 pounds, for instance, you would need at least 63 grams of protein a day.” If you’re working out or trying to build muscle, you may need even more. This smoothie recipe contains about 64 grams of protein. We usually drink two 12 oz glasses full, which is about 32 grams of protein each morning. Combined with all the healthy fats, we’re not hungry again for hours.
Of course, you can mix and match any ingredients you like. Every time I make this Choco-Berry Protein Smoothie it tastes slightly different, depending on what ingredients I use. And it’s always super tasty! The main key ingredients stay the same, then I switch out different types of berries, nuts, nut butters, superfood powders, etc., for whatever I have on hand.
We have shared this hearty, healthy-licious Choco-Berry Protein Smoothie with several friends who really love it and we hope you’ll enjoy it too!
Choco-Berry Protein Smoothie
- Vitamix or heavy-duty blender
- 1-2 cups organic frozen berries (blueberries, mixed berries, raspberries, etc.)
- 1/4 cup nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, mixed nut butter, etc.)
- 2 Scoops NOW Organic Pea Powder
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins gelatin or collagen
- 1 Scoop JuicePlus+ Complete Dutch Chocolate or Vanilla
- 1 Scoop Amazing Grass Greens Superfood (chocolate or berry flavor)
- 2-3 TBSP organic cocoa powder (non alkalized)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (or other nuts, almonds, hazelnuts, etc.)
- 1 banana, extra ripe
- splash pure vanilla
- 1-2 cups fultered water (to desired consistancy)
- organic cacao nibs to top smoothie
Optional Healthy Additions
- 1 handful organic spinach or other greens
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk or other nut milk (substitute for 1 cup of water)
- 1 scoop other superfood powders (pumpkin powder, beet root powder, pomegranet powder,moringa, macha, etc.)
- 1 scoop powdered mushrooms (reshi, turkeytail, cordiceps, etc.)
- Add all ingredients in order listed
- Blend on slow-low mode until mostly blended, increasing spead until everything is well blended
- Pour into glasses and sprinkle top with cocoa nibs
- Cheers to your health!
*Several ingredients are available through my affiliate links. You will always save 20% off retail price on anything ordered through my FullScript account.
Please share with your friends and family, and leave a comment to let us know what variations you tried and loved. Let’s get creative!