I confess, I don’t like to work-out, never have. I prefer to get my daily exercise by keeping active: walking or taking stairs when ever I can, or parking a ways away from where I’m going. I even have a standing work station so I don’t spend all day sitting.
We’re currently on a working holiday, and staying on the top floor of this hotel located on a steep hill (see photo.) Today I finally counted the stairs I’ve been climbing… 107 steps just from the lobby to the elevator! Then it’s another 6 more floors up to our room, which I’ve not yet had the courage to climb.
While climbing stairs aren’t my most favorite thing, they are a great way to get in shape. But I prefer doing yoga and Zumba, and even walking. Those activities don’t seem like “working-out” to me, and they all provide great exercise.
If you are like me and don’t like regimented exercise, try thinking outside the gym. Here are 5 easy ways to get fit and add more exercise to your day.
- Take the stairs when ever you can, your glutes will thank you.
- Park at the other end of the parking lot from where you are shopping.
- Get together with a few friends and walk at lunch or after work. Walking and talking makes the time fly by. Consider using a FitBit to track your steps, and try for 10,000 steps per day.
- Do a lap around the floor of your office building or house each hour. Set a timer to remind you to stop working, get up and walk for 5-minutes. Studies have shown moving for 5-minutes each hour can boost your metabolism all day. And while you’re at it drink a glass of water before you sit back down.
- Try some desk-yoga or desk-exercises. You can find lots of choices online. Or check Happy Well Lifestyle for future posts on desk-yoga and desk-exercise.
And here’s one bonus tip for good measure. Throw your own private dance party! Put on some rockin’ tunes and shake your booty – even dancing to just a song or two can work up a sweat and burn calories.